Thursday, December 17, 2009

I know I'm trying to post more work up on this blog but I'm going to take a brief break from that and put down some more thoughts.

There's something about thinking like a writer that makes me feel as though I'm trying to think like God. I'm not claiming to be God, but making a statement about how I try to figure God out. See writing requires a lot of observing, and reading, and interesting, every-day education (basically, learning odd little things by living amongst people), and every once in a while some withdrawal to let everything really sink in. I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I like to try and figure things out about people through little details, and from those details make small judgments on folks I barely know. Then begins the weaving.
After making some observations about an individual, I, for whatever reason, try to figure out what sort of story they're life is framing (because everyone has a story, haven't they?) and what sort of observations they make from their perspective. What I know they know (whether about me or about something) I make into a lens for myself to see through: the world is a different color through someone else' eyes. I also like to think I can make out peoples' personalities pretty well too and that affects the depth or the distance of the lens. Now I'm comparing figuring people out to trying on different kinds of glasses, but there is a problem. Though I might know when things are looking distorted or blurred when I try on another person's lenses, I do not have perfect vision myself. (Continuing the analogy) when I take off my own -3.5 prescription glasses everything gets fuzzy. My own natural insights and views of life are, at best, unfocused and blurry. Just as no human being has eyesight like a peregrine falcon does, no man, woman or child has the world just right. We all have an idea of what it should be like (with color, maybe general size, and texture) but none of us has it pinned.
That's where God comes in.
He's the ultimate mastermind of significance and purpose. If writers like Stephen King, Jane Austen or C.S Lewis are considered brilliant and genius, and they are working with fictional characters on paper then it follows that the Creator of all things, working with living beings, is also creating a gorgeous, rich story with dimensions and twists that not even the most experienced of literary artists could foresee. What's more, we already know that the story does not end in disappointment; and even though we know the way things "end", the business of seeing it all unfold is the great privilege and delight that human beings have.

There were a lot of thoughts that were thrown up in my mind and I thought this post would be a lot longer. Oh well, keep it simple.

No comments: